Guidelines for Foreign Passengers Claiming VAT Refund
- Checking the baggage of arrival and departure passengers
- Processing the reimbursement of business tax for foreign passengers
- Monitoring bonded warehouse
- Monitoring duty free shops and handling customs clearance operations for air export and import freights
Q: How do foreign passengers apply for VAT Refund?
A: Foreign passengers purchasing goods more than NT$3,000 (VAT-inclusive price) at the same authorized TRS-labeled store on the same day and exiting Taiwan with the goods within 30 days from the date of purchase are eligible for claiming VAT refund on departure.
Q: Eligible applicants?
A: Passengers who enter Taiwan with any of the following documents:
- Non-R.O.C. (Taiwan) Passport;
- Travel documents;
- Entry/exit permits; or
- Taiwan passport without Personal ID. No. recorded.
Q: Goods eligible for VAT refund?
A: Goods, subject to VAT in Taiwan, purchased to be carried abroad, excluding:
- Goods prohibited to be carried on board for safety reasons;
- Goods in contravention of cabin restrictions;
- Goods not being carried out by passengers;
- Consumables already completely or partially consumed in Taiwan.
Q: Requirements for VAT refund?
- Goods must be purchased from authorized TRS-labeled stores.
- Goods must be purchased within the aforementioned scope of eligibility for VAT refund, and VAT-inclusive price of total accumulated purchases per day must be more than NT＄3,000 from the same authorized TRS-labeled store.
- Goods must be carried out of Taiwan by eligible applicants within 30 days from the date of purchase.
Q: Procedures for eligible applicants to obtain the "Application Form for ClaimingVAT Refund"（hereinafter referred as the "Application Form for VAT Refund"）?
- Inform the clerk on making payments that a VAT refund shall be claimed for the purchases upon departure from Taiwan.
- Show passport （travel document or entry / exit permit） to the clerk for recording name and passport number on the receipt copy of the uniform invoices.
- Eligible applicants, who purchase goods above NT$3,000 (VAT-inclusive price) at the same authorized TRS–labeled store on the same day, may submit the receipt copy of the uniform invoice to the designated counter located at the store for issuance of the “Application Form for VAT Refund.” This form shall be used to claim for VAT refund with the Customs upon departure from the country.
Q: Time and location for claiming VAT Refund?
- Time: Upon exiting the country; within 30 days from the date of purchase.
- Location: The “Foreign Passenger VAT Refund Service Counter” at the airport or seaport.
Q: Procedures for Claiming VAT Refund?
- Present the application form for VAT Refund, the passport (travel document or entry / exit permit), the goods to be carried out of the country and the original copy of the uniform invoice to the Customs officers for verification and approval.
- After verification, Customs officers shall issue the “VAT Refund Assessment Certificate”.
- Present the “VAT Refund Assessment Certificate” to the designated bank located at the airport or seaport to receive the payment of VAT refund.
Q: Other requirements?
- Due to the processing time needed for verification, please submit your application for VAT refund with the Customs’ service counters allocated at the airport or seaport in good time 3 hours before departure.
- Application for VAT refund submitted after the individual has departed the country will not be accepted.
- The payment of VAT refund shall be in NT dollars.
Tax Refund Counter:：
The Tax Refund Counter is located in the International Departures Hall in Terminal 1。Location Map
Service TEL: 886 4 26155019、886 4 26155022
Customs Administration, Ministry of Finance-Guidelines for Claiming VAT Refund: For further information,